April 16, 2008

Grandma Durnil




Once again, it is a bitter-sweet week for our family. Today, Grandma was reunited with Grandpa. She battled cancer for several years. Being the fighter that she was, you would never have thought she was sick. We know that as quiet as she kept it, she was in much pain and now she is free from that pain. Grandma was also the first to tell us that cancer is not going to take her, God will take her when He is ready. Grandma said this past weekend that she would be with Grandpa on their anniversary, April 19th. They will be celebrating it together.

There is plenty that I have learned from Grandma. Although, out of selfishness, I wasn't ready to let her go, she left nothing unfinished. She lived life to the fullest and was an example for me in more ways that I can begin to comprehend and will continue to unravel. Grandma showed me what it is like to be strong woman. Emotionally, physically and mentally. She never let us (I can speak on behalf of the grandkids, anyway) see that she was putting up a struggle. She always wore a smile and I am sure as hard as it was, left the pain behind so she could laugh and enjoy every moment with us. She was constantly on the move, even when she had physical restraints she did more than I ever expected. She had more energy than anyone I know, I still hope that I will get a pinch of that, soon. :) She fought cancer for six years, through the ups and downs, to a point when we thought this was going to happen a couple of years ago. We are truly fortunate to have had the extra years, days and moments that we did. Grandma went through trials that continue to amaze me and she talked about them with dignity, always made light of a dark time, remembering the positives and the lessons learned. Watching Grandma at Grandpa's funeral, how she handled all of it, gave me the strength I needed.

Grandma was an example of a mother, friend, grandma and wife. She was a mentor. She used humor to get to bring us up when we were down, she used patience, she bit her tongue when she needed too but let her opinion be known when it counted. Grandma could shoot a look across the room that said exactly what she needed to say. She could also tell you she loved you whenever you needed it. She did not have any favorites, she treated everyone equally. I remember when Ryan and I started dating, she welcomed him into her arms and it felt like they known each other all along. Grandma and Grandpa were tremendous role-models as a husband and wife. Ryan and I wish to always carry the love they possessed. Grandpa, as I said before was the gentleman and Grandma would do anything for Grandpa. They would laugh together and they genuinely enjoyed the life they had built together. It seemed they had a secret language, they had inside jokes and I loved watching it all unfold. They were in love and still are. I am blessed to say that I am a stem from these two. They built a family of love, they strung us all together so tightly that when things such as this happen, we all have each other to hang on to and we have their foundation to lean on. They both will be deeply missed but will still be with us, watching us and smiling.

4 comments:

Manda (+2) said...

Ash, Thanks for writing this; it's exquisite. Grandma Durnil was really inspirational! (not to mention that you're an amazing writer. We're praying for you all over the next few days and weeks. We're very sorry you're feeling the pain of loss. We love you guys tons! Hugs! manda and charlie

Joel said...

I'm sorry to hear about your loss. It sounds like she was a wonderful woman!

Anonymous said...

I think all of your closest friends can agree with me when I say that we know how much you loved your Grandma. The way that you spoke so highly, so often of her is a testiment to how great of a woman she was! How special that she is with her husband now, just like she wanted to be. Call if you need anything, love you! Amy and AJ

Adam and Jaime said...

I am really sorry about your grandma, Ashley. This is a wonderful tribute to her and really illustrates all that she meant to you and your family. It is so hard, but such a blessing when husband and wife are reunited.